The summer of 2010 was ripe with this dessert. I was always making it at home and making it at friends’ homes. So easy. Photo: Becca Henry.
First – bananas are delicious and inexpensive. (Another way to save $, use greek yogurt instead of creme fraiche.)
Second – gluten free.
Third – too, too easy…I would literally show up with a bunch of bananas, a container of Chobani, a honey bear and a pint of fruit and voila!
GRANDMA KATHRYN’S BRANDY BALLS
1 (12oz) package of vanilla wafers
12 oz walnuts
1/3 c brandy
1/3 c white rum
1/2 c honey
1/2 t salt
1. In a food processor, grind the walnuts into crumbs.
2. Remove nuts and add in wafers and pulse into fine crumbs.
3. Add the brandy, rum, honey and salt to the wafer crumbs and pulse until combined.
4. Add in nuts and pulse until the mixture forms a sticky ball.
5. Roll mixture into 1/4″ to 1/2″ balls then roll the balls in your favorite coating (I like ground pretzels mixed with a little sugar). You can also use ground nuts, more ground wafers, or plain sugar.
Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.